Job Title: Senior Tunnel Engineer, bilingual French/English
Reporting to: Managing Director/Partner
Location: Toronto / Montreal or hybrid
Eligibility to work in Canada
Dr. G. Sauer & Partners Corporation (DSP) has a record of delivering high quality and innovative tunnel design solutions for public and private underground infrastructure. For us tunnelling is a passion to improve urban environments by utilising the underground space to its full potential. We work efficiently with highly qualified and motivated team members, have short decision-making processes, and offer direct access to Principal Engineers, Partners and design leads.
Purpose of the role:
As a growing boutique-style company, we offer true involvement in our core expertise of SEM tunnelling, developing innovative solutions and counting on your participation. You will be an integral part of a small specialist team involved in all aspects of a project and your contribution will be essential to the success of our company. You will be engaged in a number of diverse engineering tasks, supporting the Principal Tunnel Engineer/Partner and working with and leading engineering peers and CAD resources alike.
Based on a solid understanding of the underlying engineering and geotechnical principles you will be a senior representative of the brand of Dr. Sauer & Partners, showcasing technical excellence, understanding the clients’ requirements, and offering technical concepts for addressing the most complex underground engineering projects. Based on mutual trust and experience a pathway to the Senior Associate programme and a possible pathway to partnership is envisaged.
Responsibilities and duties:
The Senior Tunnel Engineer will have the opportunity to lead the timely production of key deliverables from concepts, proposals, design, drawings, reports, and analyses in pre-set timeframes. Involvement in business development efforts and the tendering process of future key tunnel projects in Quebec and all of Canada is expected. For these tasks you may be working directly with and for the Partners of Dr. Sauer & Partners. The principal duties are:
- Developing engineering concepts, scope descriptions, and effort estimates for tunnel design.
- Developing reference designs, reviewing ground conditions, and rock and soil parameters.
- Developing excavation and support sequences for tunnels, caverns, shafts, and adits.
- Writing reports and specifications to communicate project specific SEM design and construction principles and processes with clients, owners, and third parties.
- Empirical tunnel design, settlement assessment analysis, and FE Modelling.
- Leading the internal communication of the design principles between the engineering and CAD teams.
- Providing constructability review, and construction input to design process for on-site projects.
- Representing the company and presenting the design advance in workshops with clients and owners.
- Acting as representation of designer on site leading RES-process.
- Participating in and embracing Dr. G. Sauer & Partners' quality control procedures such as ISO 9001:2015 and the Quality Management Plan.
Qualifications and Experience required:
- Minimum of a master’s degree in civil engineering or similar.
- Experience of working on at least two major tunnel construction and / or design projects.
- Thorough knowledge of the structural design of tunnels and underground structures.
- Thorough knowledge of geotechnical engineering and settlement analysis.
- Knowledge of national and international design standards.
- Excellent English and French language (French native speaker preferred), representation, organisation and communication skills.
- Working experience of minimum of five tunnel design and/or supervision and construction projects including urban SEM/NATM stations, soft ground SEM/NATM tunnelling and multiple drift excavation.
- Excellent knowledge of MS office and analytical software packages.
- Experience on national (Canadian) and international Tunnelling projects.
- P.Eng license in Civil Engineering in ON, and other provinces, ing for Quebec essential.
- Eligibility to work in Canada.
Qualitifications and Experience advantageous:
- Leading design teams in a multidisciplinary environment and heading drawing production and delivery in AutoCAD/Revit and Bentley/Microstation, Project Wise and SharePoint.
- Knowledge of analytical geotechnical software such as RS2, Plaxis, Abaqus etc., calculation reports and production of design documents.
- Communication with lead designers, contractors, and owners. Managing clients’ expectations and delivery timelines.
- Extended Health Care.
- Group Retirement Plan.
- Permanent, full-time position.
- Start: Immediate.
Please submit your application and resume to our Toronto office: firstname.lastname@example.org