Job Title: Tunnel Engineer
Reporting to: Principal Tunnel Engineer
Location: Toronto / GTA; Eligible to work in Canada
Dr. G. Sauer & Partners Corporation (DSP) has a record of delivering high quality and innovative tunnel design solutions for public and private underground infrastructure. For us, tunnelling is a passion to improve urban environments by utilising the underground space to its full potential. We work efficiently with highly qualified and motivated team members, have short decision-making processes, and offer direct access to Principal Engineers, Partners and design leads.
Purpose of the role:
As a small, boutique-style company, we offer true involvement in our core expertise of SEM tunnelling developing innovative solutions and counting on your participation. You will be an integral part of a small specialist team involved in all aspects of a project and your contribution will be essential to the success of our company. You will be involved in a number of diverse engineering tasks, supporting the Principal Tunnel Engineer and working with peers and CAD resources alike.
Responsibilities and duties:
The Tunnel Engineer will have the opportunity to lead the timely production of key deliverables from design, drawings, reports and analyses in pre-set timeframes with supervision from various senior team members. There will be involvement in business development efforts and the tendering process of future key tunnel projects in Quebec and all of Canada. For these tasks you may be working directly with and for the Partners of DSP. The principal duties are:
- Developing reference designs, reviewing ground conditions and rock and soil parameters.
- Developing excavation and support sequences for tunnels, caverns, shafts and adits.
- Writing reports and specifications to communicate project specific SEM design and construction principles and processes with clients, owners and third parties.
- Empirical tunnel design and settlement assessment analysis and FE Modelling.
- Leading the internal communication of the design principles between the engineering and CAD teams.
- Providing constructability review, and construction input to design process for on-site projects.
- Representing the company and presenting the design advance in workshops with clients and owners
- Acting as representation of designer on-site and leading the RES-process
- Participate in and embracing Dr. G. Sauer & Partners quality control procedures such as ISO 9001:2015 and the Quality Management Plan.
Qualifications and Experience required:
- Minimum of a master’s degree in civil engineering or similar.
- Thorough knowledge of the structural design of tunnels and underground structures.
- Thorough knowledge of geotechnical engineering and settlement analysis.
- Knowledge of national and international design standards.
- Excellent English and French language, representation, organisation and communication skills.
- Working experience of minimum of five tunnel design and/or supervision and construction projects including urban SEM/NATM stations, soft ground SEM/NATM tunnelling and multiple drift excavation.
- Excellent knowledge of MS office and analytical software package.
- Experience on national (Canadian) and international Tunnelling projects.
- Eligibility to work in Canada.
Qualifications and Experience advantageous:
- Experience of at least one tunnel construction and / or design project.
- Experience in SEM/NATM design, engineering and / or construction.
- Experience in leading drawing production in AutoCAD/Revit and Bentley/Microstation, Project Wise and SharePoint.
- Knowledge of analytical geotechnical software such as RS2, Plaxis, Abaqus etc.
- Experience of FE Analyses, calculation reports and production of design documents.
- P.Eng license in Civil Engineering in ON, and other provinces, ing for Quebec.
Please submit your application and resume to our Toronto Office: